Fort Pentagouet, in Acadia, was built in 1625 by Charles Turgis de Saint-Étienne de La Tour, at the head of the Pentagouet River, which empties into the Atlantic. It was mainly a fortified trading post and a fishing station. It fell to the English in 1626 and was retaken by Charles Menou d'Aulnay in 1635. The Compagnie de la Nouvelle-France granted the seigneury of Pentagouet to Claude de La Tour in 1636.

The Forts
Plan du fort de Pentagouet [Plan of Fort Pentagouet], 1670
FR CAOM 3DFC 36C